Hyperpigmentation - you know, that natural canvas of freckles, sun-kissed spots and wisdom lines that makes our skin so unique. Today you'll read about the best pigmentation creams for your face, but first we'll dive a little deeper into the subject so you can understand what hyperpigmentation, or pigmentation of the skin, really is and which hyperpigmentation cream fits into your routine.
What is Hyperpigmentation?
Hyperpigmentation, or simply pigmentation, refers to the uneven distribution of melanin, the pigment responsible for skin color, resulting in dark spots or patches on the face. (Hyper)pigmentation can occur for a variety of reasons, and understanding the types is essential when choosing the right skin care.
Types of (Hyper)pigmentation
- Sunspots: Sun exposure can lead to the development of dark spots, better known as sunspots or age spots. UV rays stimulate the production of melanin, causing these spots, especially in areas exposed to the sun.
- Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH): PIH occurs after the skin has experienced inflammation or trauma, such as acne, wounds or rough treatments. The healing process can result in dark spots that linger, creating an uneven skin tone.
- Melasma: Melasma is often associated with hormonal changes and causes brown or grayish-brown spots, usually on the face. Pregnancy, birth control pills and sun exposure can trigger or worsen melasma.
- Freckles: Although freckles are generally genetic, sun exposure can intensify them. They are small, concentrated areas of increased melanin production.
- Age-related (hyper)pigmentation: As the skin ages, the accumulation of sun exposure and environmental damage can lead to increased (hyper)pigmentation, contributing to an uneven complexion.
The Best Creams for Hyperpigmentation
Bakuchiol is a great ingredient to reduce hyperpigmentation. It helps stimulate cell renewal and regeneration, which in turn promotes a more even complexion and reduces hyperpigmentation. Its antioxidant properties also help reduce hyperpigmentation. So the By Wishtrend Night Cream not only works anti-aging but also helps in achieving a more even skin tone.
This moisturizer is infused with a whopping 70% sea buckthorn extract. And sea buckthorn in itself is naturally rich in vitamin C, B, and many other compounds with antioxidant properties. This Purito cream will soothe, moisturize, even out and bring your skin out of its dull state.
|AHA, Vitamin C, and Niacinamide work together to even out skin and reduce hyperpigmentation while other vitamins give your skin a boost.
|Niacinamide is also known for its versatile benefits. Niacinamide helps fade dark spots, improves skin texture and strengthens the skin barrier. This Some By Mi moisturizer combines the powers of vitamin C from Yuja and 5% niacinamide to help achieve even skin tone. In addition, do you have combination or oily skin? Then the light gel texture of this cream will suit your skin perfectly.
Vitamin C is a superhero among antioxidants. It is also often the first ingredient that comes to mind when we think of fighting hyperpigmentation and evening out our skin, and for good reason. In fact, Vitamin C inhibits melanin production and brightens the skin.
Discover all Korean skincare that specializes in brightening the skin and helping you fight pigmentation in our skin concerns range specially selected for hyperpigmentation. Also read all about fighting dark circles or pigmentation under your eyes in our latest blog on The Best Eye Creams to Fight Dark Circles.